Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Help

Last night JT said to me, "You know, you can blog about other stuff besides CJ..." Well, if my own hubs is saying that, then surely y'all must be thinking the same thing. Ha ha! I just really don't have too much else to write about right now...
I guess I can talk about The Help, both the book and the movie. I read the book in under 48 hours, which is saying a lot as the Mama of a toddler! I would stay up late reading it, and then one night, I was even reading it at the dinner table. Sorry JT!! But I just could not put it down! Then, last week, I had the chance to see the movie at "Mommy Movie Monday". The theater shows a film at 10am to Moms and their kids, with the lights turned up and the sound turned down. It's just other moms, so everyone is understanding if your baby is hollering or talking. I have to brag a little and say that CJ did GREAT!! I just kept him strapped into his stroller facing me and let him watch Cars on the iPad while I got to watch The Help. :) I loved both the book and the movie! The book was of course better, but I must say that the movie was one of the better book to screen translations I've ever seen!!
The character that I felt myself identifying with, strangely enough, was Celia. Other than the big boobies, we are very similar! ;) She is on the "outside" of the popular crowd, struggles with infertility and can't cook. Overall, I just felt a kinship with her, because she is so sweet!
Anyhow, I don't want to give anything away, but I would DEFINITELY recommend reading this book, and then seeing the movie.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Me too the book I cannot put down and the movie was great. I canidentify with the times. Living in a small town in SC preduice ran high and one reason I left. I did not see the drama that was occuring in Jackson, Miss. and Alabama until it hit the news. I could not believe at it happened and that they were talking about events of this nature taking place in our own country.

Sue said...

Oh, I agree with JT, I can read about CT all day so don't stop, but other events and thoughts run through your mind and body as well. You might not want to be as daring or contraversal as me and others when it comes to the written word, but expressing yourself can be quit refreshing and fun.

coach said...

Have not seen nor read it, I will probably pass on this one.